Monday, May 3, 2010

Brandon Graham

Every now and then I get fed up with comics in general. I discover some amazing new talent, go collect everything they've done, read it and get bored all over again. It seems that since i stopped collecting for 5 years or so there's been a lot of talent that's busted onto the scene but I thought I'd found it all. Brandon Graham popped onto my radar through a buddy of mine, Jeremy Holt. I had seen King City a few times but just glanced right over it looking for something else. I think I was maybe a little burned out on the "manga" influence in American comics because that's what the flavor du jour was when comics got back-burnered (becoming a dad will do that). Sure his style does have some of that but it's a lot more as well. Owing as much to Heavy Metal as it does Shirow, while that had something to do with it's appeal so did the the fact that he put everything on display on his blog http://royalboiler.livejournal.com/. He complains about the industry, struggles with drawing outside his ability and paying rent. Thank you for being a hero.



No comments:

Post a Comment